Six Splendid Red Paint Colours for your Door
Walking through my downtown neighbourhood, camera in hand, looking for homes to photograph for my second post on colourful painted front doors – see the first post here – I noticed a lot of red doors gracing the beautiful character-filled homes in my community.
I may have been inspired by the fact that it was Canada Day and our country’s 148th birthday!
The most important part of your home’s exterior – a colourful front door can transform a blah exterior just like a bright scarf can dress up a dull outfit. A colourful door also makes a strong statement.
the color of the front door introduces the world to the people inside.
Some Facts about the Colour RED
- Red is the color of energy, passion and action. It is warm and positive – associated with our most physical needs and our will to survive. Red exudes a strong and powerful masculine energy. It is energizing, excites the emotions and motivates us to take action. Read this post for more about the colour “Red”
- In Feng Shui, red is the colour of the fire element, the colour of warmth, excitement and passion. According to this post, front doors are very important in Feng Shui, because it is through the front door – also called the mouth of Chi – that the house receives its energy. However, Feng Shui also directs that red is considered the best colour for a south facing front door because south is the only direction with the Fire element. Not too sure what Feng Shui is? Check out this post.
- In China, red is the color of celebration, good luck, happiness and a long life.
- In ancient China and Japan, red was an auspicious color used for the entrances to shrines. Building codes in China stipulated that only high-ranking government officials could paint their doors red, which is one reason why red is associated with prosperity.
- In India, the colour red means wealth, opulence and power and is often used in wedding ceremonies.
- A red door in Scotland traditionally meant that the homeowners had paid their mortgage in full. I found this particularly interesting since I have Scottish roots.
Homes in my Neighbourhood featuring Red Doors
Can you imagine these striking heritage homes without their amazing red doors? Which door is your favourite?
In case you’re inspired to paint something red, here are six of my favourite “go-to” red paint colours: